D4 Frequently Asked Questions
Question: Where can I get a DVLA D4 Driver Medical Form From?
Answer: All our doctors carry copies of the D4 medical form, so you don’t have to have bring one to your medical with us. However if you do need to get a form you can either:
- Download a DVLA D4 Driver Medical Form by clicking this link.
- Get an already printed version by popping into you local DVLA centre.
- Or if your local centre has closed call the DVLA on 0300 790 6806 and they should post you one.
In addition you can also view or download the DVLA information leaflet here as well.
Question: Where can I get a D2 Form from?
Answer: We cannot issue D2 forms however you can download your pack from here, DVLA D2 Form or you can pick up a form from your nearest post office.
Question: Will the doctor help me complete the D2 form?
Answer: Whilst the doctor completes the D4 for you to reduce the costs, you will need to complete the D2 form yourself. For more information on how to complete your D2 form please visit the DVLA website.
Question: What happens during a driver medical assessment?
Answer: The doctor will examine you in accordance with the requirements of the relevant D4 Medical Form.
- During the Medical the Doctor will:
- Measure your blood pressure
- Perform two eyetests; the first before and the second after you put on driving glasses (this included in the medical fee)
- Test your urine for Diabetes
- List on the D4 Form any medication you’re currently taking
- Ask about your previous medical history (these questions are on the form and are compulsory).
Once the medical is completed you post the form to the DVLA and they decide whether to renew your driving entitlements. If there is a reason why you shouldn’t be renewed the doctor will let you know at the time.
Question: How long does a medical take?
Answer: Approximately 15 minutes but if your medical history is complicated expect it to take longer.
Question: Does the Medical Include an eye test?
Answer: Yes, it does. If you do wear contact lenses when driving please do not wear them for your medical examination.
Question: How far in advance do I need to book a driver medical?
Answer: We always try to see drivers quickly and at times to suit you so there is no need to take time off work. Call our Freephone number 0808 178 0725 text 07989 523788, or Email and we will be able to offer you a range of appointments at different locations – we do offer weekend and evening appointments as well so if you need one please just ask.
Question: Is there anything that I need to bring to my appointment?
Answer: Below is a list of the six items you will need to bring to the doctor for your driver medical assessment:
- Driving licence;
- Your driving glasses (do not wear contact lenses as these will have to be removed for the eye test);
- A urine sample (just a small one);
- A list of all your current medication or bring all the medication boxes;
- Any hospital letters or details of hospital consultants who are treating you;
- The medical fee (we take payment on booking or through PayPal, some clinics accept cash on the day, please ask when booking)
The medical form requires medical information from you in detail so please bring as much information as possible if the form is to be completed.
Question: Can I have a receipt for my accountant or employer?
Answer: A receipt is issued with every medical.
Question: Once I’ve sent the form off how long before I get my updated licence back?
Answer: You should expect to get your license within 3 weeks.
Question: Can I take my medical before I take my driving test?
Answer: Yes, the medical is valid for four months after the doctors signature; so if you have had a medical you then have 16 weeks to pass your test before the D4 medical certificate expires.
Question: If I have suffered from mental health issues can I still pass a D4 medical?
Answer:The DVLA Guidelines state that if you are to drive a commercial vehicle you must be between 6 months and 3 years clear of mental breakdown. The time depends upon the severity of the condition e.g. Schizophrenia generally has a wait time of 3 years whereas Anxiety attack would only be 6 months.
If there is a question we haven’t answered please call us free on 0808 178 0725
Can I book my medical now?
Answer: Of course, please complete our form below:
“I can’t believe how quick the service is, within 2 hours of calling I’d passed my medical! All for such a fair price, what a bargain!”
Dave, Bayston Hill
Book Your Medical Today
Please Choose Either & Click
- Call Free on 0808 178 0725
Lines open 8am -6pm Everyday
If Lines are busy, please call again
- Text Us on 07989 523 788
- Email email@example.com
- We provide a D4 Form with every Medical however you can download a form here DVLA D4 Medical Form
- Got a Question? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page
- Call Free on 0808 178 0725
What You Will Need To Pass
- Please Bring to your D4 medical:
- Photo ID
- A urine sample (brought in a screw top container)
- Your driving glasses/contact lenses & prescription
- Details of any ongoing medical conditions plus any medication you are taking
Choose either of our convenient ways to pay:
- Pay over the phone when you secure your booking
- Pay on the day available at some clinics, please ask when booking
Please see our FAQ's section for more information, any other queries you might have and to download a D4 form if required.
All driver medicals are carried out by our Doctors in accordance with current DVLA Group 2 guidelines. All of our Doctors hold full registration with the GMC (General Medical Council).
We accept card payments over the phone at the time of the booking and PayPal payments, pay on the day is available at some clinics, please ask when booking your appointment. Please ask for a receipt if required.