Driver Medical Frequently Asked Questions
Question: Who can complete a DVLA D4 Driver Medical?
Answer: Any Doctor who holds full registration with the GMC (General Medical Council) and is licensed to practise medicine in the UK can complete the DVLA D4 Driver Medical. This can be your own GP or a private firm specialising in D4 medicals. Additionally EU registered Doctors can complete the D4 medical for drivers who have the medical complete outside the UK.
Question: Where can I get a DVLA D4 Driver Medical Form From?
Answer: All our doctors carry copies of the D4 medical form, so you don’t have to have bring one to your medical with us. However if you do need to get a form you can either:
- Download a DVLA D4 Driver Medical Form by clicking here.
- Get an already printed version by popping into you local DVLA centre.
- Or if your local centre has closed call the DVLA on 0300 790 6806 and they should post you one.
In addition you can also view or download the DVLA information leaflet here as well.
Question: Where can I get a D2 or D47P Form from?
Answer: We cannot issue D2 forms however you can download your pack from here, DVLA D2 Form or you can pick up a form from your nearest post office. If you are renewing your group 2 licence you will be sent a D47P renewal form from DVLA, this is only available by post.
Question: Will the doctor help me complete the D2 or D47P form?
Answer: Whilst the doctor completes the D4 for you to reduce the costs, you will need to complete the D2 form yourself. For more information on how to complete your D2 or D47P form please visit the DVLA website.
Question: What happens during a driver medical assessment?
Answer: The doctor will examine you in accordance with the requirements of the relevant D4 Medical Form.
During the medical our Doctor will:
- Complete an eye test (if you wear glasses/ contact lenses, one test without and one test whilst you’re wearing them)
- Record your blood pressure
- Test your urine for diabetes (optional)
- List on the D4 Form any medication you’re currently taking
- Ask about your previous medical history (these questions are on the form and are compulsory).
Once the medical is completed you sign the back to say you have given the correct information to the Doctor and you must then check you are happy the form is fully completed and correct before ticking at the end of the form. You then post the form to the DVLA and they make a decision on fitness, they will either accept your application or reject it and explain why.
Question: How long does a medical take?
Answer: Approximately 15 minutes but if your medical history is complicated expect it to take longer.
Question: Does the D4 Medical Include an eye test?
Answer: Yes, it does. If you do wear contact lenses when driving please do not wear them for your medical examination.
Question: How far in advance do I need to book a driver medical?
Answer: We always try to see drivers quickly and at times to suit you so there is no need to take time off work but our clinics are very popular so please get in touch as soon as possible. Call our Freephone number 0808 178 0725, Email or book online and we will be able to offer you a range of appointments at different locations – we do offer weekend and evening appointments as well so if you need one please just ask.
Question: Is there anything that I need to bring to my appointment?
Answer: Below is a list of the six items you will need to bring to the doctor for your driver medical assessment:
- Driving licence;
- Your driving glasses and optical prescription (contact lenses must be removed for the eye test);
- A urine sample (small sample but optional);
- A list of all your current medication, the dosages and the dates you began taking them
- Any hospital letters or details of hospital consultants who are treating you;
The medical form requires medical information from you in detail so please bring as much information as possible so that our Doctor can fully complete the form.
Question: Can I have a receipt for my accountant or employer?
Answer: Of course, we can supply a receipt by email on request.
Question: Once I’ve sent the form off how long before I get my updated licence back?
Answer: DVLA advise you should allow 2-3 weeks however it can be as early as a week.
Question: How Long Does The D4 Medical Last For?
Answer: The DVLA D4 medical form is valid for 4 months from the date of the Doctor’s signature (ie date of D4 form completion), so you must send the paperwork in to DVLA within 4 months of your medical for it to be accepted.
Question: If I have suffered from mental health issues can I still pass a D4 medical?
Answer:The DVLA Guidelines state that if you are to drive a commercial vehicle you must be between 6 months and 3 years clear of mental breakdown. The time depends upon the severity of the condition e.g. Schizophrenia generally has a wait time of 3 years whereas Anxiety attack would only be 6 months.
Can I book my medical now?
Answer: Of course, please use the booking portal below to book your driver medical:
“I can’t believe how quick the service is, within 2 hours of calling I’d passed my medical! All for such a fair price, what a bargain!”
Dave, Bayston Hill
Book Your Medical Today
Please Choose Either & Click
- Call Free on 0808 178 0725
Lines open 8am -6pm Mon-Fri, 8am-4pm Sat
If Lines are busy, please call again
- Book online at d4drivers.uk/book-now/
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- We provide a D4 Form with every Medical however you can download a form here DVLA D4 Medical Form
- Got a Question? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page
- Call Free on 0808 178 0725
What You Will Need To Pass
- Please Bring to your D4 medical:
- Photo ID
- A urine sample (brought in a screw top container)
- Your driving glasses/contact lenses & prescription
- Details of any ongoing medical conditions plus any medication you are taking
Choose either of our convenient ways to book and pay:
- Pay over the phone when you secure your booking
- Book and pay online by clicking here- Book Now
Please see our FAQ's section for more information, any other queries you might have and to download a D4 form if required.
To view our privacy and cookies policy please go to https://www.d4drivers.uk/privacy-policy.
All driver medicals are carried out by our Doctors in accordance with current DVLA Group 2 guidelines. All of our Doctors hold full registration with the GMC (General Medical Council).
We accept card payments over the phone and online. Please ask for a receipt if required.
Member of the Road Haulage Association (RHA), membership no. 0031522-000.
Member of Freight Transport Association (FTA), membership no. 302996.